Car Thefts from Vehicles in Hertfordshire
Unfortunately we have seen a spike in theft from vehicles across the County.
Regrettably, a number of the vehicles that were targeted had been left unlocked.
Therefore we are urging residents to follow the advice below:
- Double check your vehicle(s) before leaving them unattended, ensuring all doors are locked, all windows are shut and any sun roofs are closed.
- Never leave any valuables in your vehicle – not even in the glove-box or boot – and keep all other possessions out of sight. Even if you know that there is nothing valuable in your coat pocket or bag left on the back seat, a thief may try their luck.
- Remove your Sat Nav and its holder and wipe away any suction marks, as these could suggest to a potential thief that a Sat Nav is stored in your vehicle.
- Never leave vehicle documents in your car – don’t make it easy for a thief to sell your car or provide a cover story if stopped by the police.
- Use an approved steering lock or gear clamp and remember to set your immobiliser and alarm if you have them.
- Consider buying locking screw kits to secure number plates which are often targeted by criminals.
- Regsiter your stereo, laptop, sat nav and any other property on the free online property database www.immobilise.com. It only takes a few minutes and could help police trace your property if it’s lost or stolen.
- If you advertise your vehicle for sale on an online website, ensure that its number plates are covered over when photographed to avoid cloning of its identity.
- If you see anyone acting suspiciously around vehicles in your street and you believe a crime is in progress, always dial 999.
If you need to reply to this message – please email email@example.com